Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Can you remember?

A few days ago I heard on the radio that we now Google so much information in a single day that 20% or more of people forget what they read just 30 seconds after seeking an answer or fact. This is alarming to me. I also remember my dentist telling me that she read about children in Asia using technology so much that certain areas of their brains are dying. The neglect to memorize things actually kills brain cells. I think we need to seriously consider this. I know that right at this moment I do not remember my mother's or my oldest son's cell numbers. It is very embarrassing to admit this. I just use my phone and call them. What about you? Are you guilty? It is terrifying to think my son would be out and I actually could not call him because I did not remember his number. Ridiculous! I am fixing this. ASAP!!

Here's the thing that has been on my mind. In this instant society where we don't even want to take the time to remember what we just read about a question that we had, we are losing much more than facts. Do you long to be close to God and when you get started in prayer find your thoughts are slipping away to the to do list or what's for dinner? I do. When I try to memorize scripture I feel it is difficult and honestly just excuse it away. Why do I need to memorize what I can read? 

All these things are reminding me of the way we are living and how we are deceiving ourselves. Many, many people have been in situations with no Bible, no one to teach them truth or remind them of it. What if soon the day comes that our Scriptures are taken away and we must rely on what is in our minds? I had the privilege of being a Bible Driller as a child. Because of that I can recall scriptures quite often. But my children? No. They are struggling to memorize a single passage. Why? I have made it too easy for them not to do it. I haven't made it a priority. 

I think of Corrie Ten Boom and her story. It you have not read it, please do so. Her writings of imprisonment in Nazi concentration camp will show you miracle after miracle. And the fact that her mind was full of hymns and God's words carried her through some hellish times. I fear for my children and what they would do in a situation like that. I fear for myself.

My friend, Larry, says that we need a "long, strategic soaking in the Word." We cannot Google our way to a deeper relationship with God and understanding of Scripture. We cannot Instagram or Snap Chat our way to recalling truth when we need it. Our hungry souls cannot be filled in 30 seconds of reading the Words of life. 

Psalm 119:15-16 tells us, "I will meditate on Your precepts And regard your way. I shall delight in Your statutes; I shall not forget Your word." 

"Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing."John 15:4-5

Friends, we cannot just swing by the vine and grab some grapes. We have to abide in Him, in His Word, in prayer, and he will produce the fruit in us. Fruit that will last when we need to recall His words and fruit that will give life and hope to others. Take some time. Soak it up and dwell with Him. 




No comments:

Post a Comment