Pages

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

What a "tiny" house will teach you

My world is getting shaken, rocked and turned upside down right now.  Having recently moved back to our home state of Tennessee we are living in about 700 square feet temporarily.  That's one mom and dad, 3 boys, a cat, a hamster, and a fish. (The hermit crab's short life recently ended. I will not share how I feel about this. Just guess.)  Leaving 2600 square feet to abide in a "small house" will, at times, really test your character.

The thing is though, 700 square feet, it's not really a tiny dwelling.  For most of the world this size home would be like a mansion and very luxurious.  I'm busy thinking about this in the first month of 2015.  Josh and I have been having these conversations for months now.  They usually start with me screaming and throwing something in the closet because I CAN'T FIT MORE IN!! What?  Even in this scaled down place we are living we find many things we don't even wear, eat, etc.  9/10 of our things are in storage.
      Sitting.  

     Unused.  

In a couple months when we move to our next home we will find things we had FORGOTTEN! This is not ok. Not when gazillions of people don't even have food to eat. Not when babies are dying of hunger and people are sleeping in cold alleys.  Can we fix all that? Oh no, sadly we cannot.  Can we try? Can we care?  Can we wake up and sacrifice for the lives of others? Oh yes, gladly we can.

Not only are we already thinking these things and learning it is ok, and that we are going to survive without 200 dvd's and 1 million pencils, I decided to spend money on one thing for myself for Christmas.  Just one thing. What did I choose? An innocent book called "Interrupted" by Jen Hatmaker. I had no idea what I was getting ready to experience. Just taking a recommendation from others that she is a good writer and I also really enjoyed her HGTV show about renovating her home.  Innocent.  That is what I thought.  I am not going to to a book summary for you, but I will say this.  If you care about over consumption in America.  If you care about orphans. If you feel like there is no joy in your life, if you attend church but get bored with that. Just read the book. You will be challenged.  Believer or not it is a great read.

So some things you learn while in close quarters with 4 other people...

1. Cat hair may not be a big deal in a big house.  Maybe you can deal with it and just whisk it away.  Not so in this environment.

2. A line forms daily for the bathroom and it seems to happen so quickly it becomes a pile up.  Take a number people.

3. There is no privacy. Don't even think about it. 3 boys in a room and parents in another room with a little living room in the middle. You cannot possibly crank the volume loud enough on Downton Abbey to understand the wittiness of the Dowager (without waking the little guy).

4. We have EXCESS stuff.  Even here, even now.  I weekly put something in the "give away" pile.  Clothes that never are worn, a toy someone doesn't want, etc.  It is surprising me because I thought I only brought the necessities here.  But we have lots of stuff, just stuff, taking up space!

5. My boys are cute and sweet and generally handling this well.  Very well actually.  Not to brag that we have the best kids in the world (of course) but just to point out that happiness does not equal stuff. We are playing more games, talking more, and reading more books. They get bored and think they will die but I have noticed they are not missing their things that are packed away. They are wanting more stimulation from tv or video games.  This is all evident of our always wanting more action, more entertainment, and the latest thing.  We are working on it.

6. Small homes are actually possible to keep relatively clean. Relatively.

7. If we get the flu or a stomach virus it is going to be bad.  Seriously,  real bad. (see #2)

8. We realize the things we most need love,shelter, food and clothing are universal and they are really enough. If you have these things you can be very comfortable and happy. We also need something to worship. Everyone seeks that. So ultimately we need God to be joyful and content (but that is another post) Materially speaking, though, we do not need much. Not at all.

9. Cranky boys really get under my skin and here is how we handle that. Send them outside, plug into music, exercise, pray a lot, pin stuff (just being honest- still looking at and for stuff, sad)

10. It is eye opening to take a break from things and down size.  More than that it is humbling and good for us. I hope we will not be the same after this season of our lives.

I write this post not to condemn or be ungrateful that my life is full of good things. I feel thankful to live in a country with so many opportunities and without having to worry that my children will starve or be cold tonight. But even here, even now there are many who do not have this privilege. May we wake up as a nation and especially as the church and welcome some discomfort to meet the needs of these.

Do not store up for yourselves treasure on earth, where moth and just destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rest do not destroy  and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. (Matt. 6:19-21)

Some of my treasures


No comments:

Post a Comment